September 24, 2017, 09:44:42 AM

Author Topic: RE: Titanium wire for vaping  (Read 844 times)

Offline John Hiew

• Commodore
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • View Profile
  • Mods?: provari 2.5 mini
RE: Titanium wire for vaping
« on: November 05, 2015, 04:20:01 PM »
Hi all
Besides owner a 2 caravelas and a nau, I also own a variable  wattage mod. As you know the recent VW mods are mostly equip with temp control features with nickel, titanium or SS wires. I am no material scientist so most of my knowledge are limited to what I can gather online, through articles or forums. I have also come across comments by Pedro, as shown below. I hope some experienced vapers here can help me out to fully understand this.

And even though I'm sharing this, I'll tell you what I always do... IF YOU DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE USING IT... DON'T USE IT!!

This is not designed to condone the use of the material, just to pass some information along.

1) Do everything with vaping at your own risk!! 2) The safest way to vape is to not vape at all... just don't smoke either!!

"Without performing any scientific research on this issue and based only on my experience with titanium and titanium dioxide coatings, I would say that is reasonable "safe" as long as the titanium wire is shiny!

Even with heat treatment (dry burns) the naturally occurring titanium dioxide growth should be very thin and have high adhesion to titanium wire.

What I recommend is to dry burn (unless the process has already been done by the wire manufacturer) until the titanium wire remains shiny! If it’s shiny the oxide layer is thin and should present high adhesion to titanium wire.

Even at room temperature all titanium produces a "protection” layer of titanium dioxide, however, I believe the adhesion to the metal will protect the vaper.

Although I have no experience with NI200 wire, based on my personal experience, I would choose TI wire over NI200 wire.

Please note however, that Titanium dioxide is classified as carcinogenic 2, it means that can be carcinogenic to humans. So please do use it at your own risk.

I plan on doing a study of these wires and all wires used in vaping in the near future and look forward to sharing the results with you.”​
End quote

When Pedro mentioned dry burn, I assume he meant at a very low wattage? Or Pulsing it?
Dry burn till it is shiny, does it mean like some website mention, pulse the wire in low wattage till it turn slightly blue in colour?

I hope some of you can share some experience on coil building with titanium wire.

Offline Vwls

• Admiral of the fleet
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1532
  • -Receive: 1035
  • Dreaming of Caravelas in the night...
    • View Profile
  • Mods?: #58, Vwls, and Angel Vela + Nau prototype XX7
Re: RE: Titanium wire for vaping
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 04:34:22 AM »
Are you using titanium wire on mechanicals?
Dreaming of Caravelas in the night...